The Marine Museum gives insight into Marine activity on the north shore of Lake Erie. In the early days, there was an extensive ship-building industry, largely due to the abundant timber supply in the Otter Valley. The landmark lighthouse was built in the 1840’s and was restored by Mennonite craftsmen in 1986.
In 1906, the MV Ashtabula brought bulk coal in hopper cars, and continued making two trips per day from Ashtabula , Ohio, to Port Burwell, until 1958, when she was struck and sunk by an ore carrier, in Ashtabula Harbour. Self-unloading freighters continued the bulk coal business until its end.
The harbour is now used mainly for recreational boating and fishing, with some commercial fishing.There is a walking tour available in Port Burwell of the impressive historical archetecture.